5/29/2012

The Best Food Quote of All Time and More

This is from Jay Rayner, the food critique of the Observer:
I am also a consumer of bad reviews. If they are fun to write they are also fun to read – like this one by a young rising politician called Winston Churchill. Asked about his dinner the night before, he replied: "It would have been splendid… if the wine had been as cold as the soup, the beef as rare as the service, the brandy as old as the fish, and the maid as willing as the duchess."
His reaction is the same as mine:
God, but I wish I'd written that.
But I also enjoyed this reaction to a bad review:
The 19th-century German composer Max Reger allegedly once replied to a bad review with a note that read: "I am seated in the smallest room in the house. Your review is before me. Shortly it will be behind me."

No comments:

Post a Comment